In a few weeks, we will make our second visit to Mickey’s Verry Merry Christmas Party (MVMCP) at the Magic Kingdom! The event, held on select dates in November and December of each year, features special shows, parades, character visits and other fun treats for families during the holiday season. The Christmas party is one of Disney’s signature events, but navigating MVMCP and seeing all of the holiday fun can be very daunting. Without a good strong game plan, you and your family may miss out on some unique Disney opportunities!
But don’t worry – the Downlow team has you covered. We thought it would be helpful to share our game plan with friends and followers of the blog in hopes of helping people navigate through the party. The characters and shows at the party can vary from year to year, but the general idea of our game plan is transferable to future Christmas parties as well! The key takeaway is the same no matter what: TRY TO HAVE FUN! This is a very special event and shouldn’t be overly stressful. We hope that by following our little guide, you and your family will get the most out of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2016!
First, we have the guide maps which are very important. Be sure to get one when you enter the park for the party!
Our game plan relies heavily on character “meet and greets” and holiday shows that are unique to MVMCP. If shows and character interactions don’t interest your family, you may want to spend time riding attractions with much lower lines than normal (definitely one of the bonuses of MVMCP – short lines!). MVMCP runs from 7 pm to midnight, but it’s very important to remember that your MVMCP ticket gains you access to the Magic Kingdom beginning at 4 pm. We highly recommend taking advantage of that early entry opportunity and have worked it into our game plan. We’ve found that this early access time is a great time to sit down for dinner if your family doesn’t eat before arriving at the park. Once you get moving during MVMCP, there’s a lot to see and stopping for food is sometimes a luxury!
So without further ado, here’s the Downlow’s guide to a successful Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2016!
Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2016
7pm to Midnight
- Arrive at Magic Kingdom for early access at 4 pm
Walk towards Storybook Circus in New Fantasyland at the back of the park
- CHARACTERS: Even though the party doesn’t officially start until 7pm, line up at 4:30pm at Storybook Circus to see Jack Skellington as Sandy Claws. He’s very popular and sometimes comes out before the party, as early as 5 pm. We love Jack Skellington and are willling to wait to see him. (Note: Some families will want to start instead by getting pictures with the Seven Dwarves! If that’s your preference, you’ll want to get into line behind Cinderella’s Castle by 6 pm. The Dwarves usually start taking pictures right when the party starts at 7)
- CHARACTERS: Line up to see Santa Goofy near the Barnstormer ride and/or Minnie, Donald and Daisy Duck at Storybook Circus! These are separate meet and greets, so you can choose to do one or both!
- RIDES: Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Barnstormer
Walk towards Fantasyland
- CHARACTERS: Line up at Princess Fairytale Hall to see princesses and princes. Each year at the party, there is a great collection of princesses AND their princes who take pictures together. This a fun photo opportunity for families who will likely only get pictures with princesses during the rest of their trip.
- CHARACTERS: Peter Pan and Wendy, near the Peter Pan ride. Check the wait time/line length on this one. If it’s not too long, go for it! Otherwise, you can meet Peter from time to time during regular park hours.
- TREATS: Stop at Pete’s Silly Sideshow (Storybook Circus) – Apple Cider and Sugar Cookies. (Note: It’s important to mention here that another great feature of MVMCP is the scattering of locations across the park that offer complimentary holiday beverages and cookies)
- TREATS: Friar Nook (Fantasyland) – Snow cones and sugar cookies
- RIDES: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaind, Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan’s Flight, It’s a Small World
Walk towards Liberty Square
- TREATS: Heritage House (Liberty Square) – Eggnog and gingersnaps
- RIDES: Haunted Mansion
Walk towards Frontierland
- CHARACTERS: Big Al & friends at Country Bear Jamboree
- RIDES: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Walk towards Adventureland
- CHARACTERS: Aladdin with Abu & Jasime with Genie. Both sets of these great characters from Aladdin will meet with guests near The Magic Carpets of Aladdin ride in Adventureland! You’ll have to line up separately to see both groups.
- TREATS: Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland) – Hot chocolate and snicker doodles
- RIDES: Pirates of the Caribbean, “Jingle” Cruise – holiday take on the classic attraction, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Walk to the Main Street/front of park
- CHARACTERS: Line up for Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater; Santa Clause at Town Square; and Mary Poppins and Bert also at Town Square. These are very popular meet and greets, so be prepared to wait a little while for each of these. Santa Clause also visits with guests during the day, so that one is not exclusive to MVMCP.
Walk “up” Main Street toward Cinderella’s Castle
- SHOWS: Frozen Holiday Wish at 8:15 p.m. During this quick 7-minute show, Queen Elsa lights up Cinderella’s Castle with thousands of lights! The best view is right in front of the castle.
- SHOWS: Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration at 9:25 p.m. This is a new show for 2016, playing 4 times per night. Expect Mickey and friends to sing/dance to holiday tunes. The best view, again, is in front of the castle.
- SHOWS: Once Upon a Time/ Christmas Wishes Fireworks at 9:45 p.m. As you might have guessed, the best view is in front of the castle!
Walk back “down” Main Street to find location to watch parade
- PARADE: Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at 11 p.m. This special holiday parade is a staple of MVMCP and runs twice per night. The second parade (11 pm) is often less crowded. The best viewing location is anywhere along Main Street.
Walk towards Tomorrowland
- SHOWS: Totally Tomorrowland Christmas Show at 11:45 p.m.
- TREATS: Lunching Pad (Tomorrowland) – Hot chocolate and peppermint bark cookies
- RIDE: Tomorrowland Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
That’s about it, folks! As you can see, there is so much to do at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party and as with most things Disney these days, it helps to plan ahead even if just a little.
We hope this guide might be helpful one day to you and your family! Until next time, Happy Holidays from Ang and Gabe at the Dis Downlow!